Thursday, February 18, 2010

TOM & Pollan

This morning's weight: upswing

So this is my first menstrual cycle while having a scale since changing the way I eat.  It is totally creepy how the water retention makes for a huge gain.  "Scientifically" speaking, and looking at calories consumed vs. burned, I should be down 2 lbs since Sunday, or at 293ish.  But no.  I have been 298 since Monday morning.  The human body is a peculiar thing.

This past weekend I watched Food, Inc. I highly recommend it for anyone that eats.  It really makes you stop and take a look at where your food comes from, and how food has changed over the years.  The moral of the story is, the vast majority of us don't eat to well, something that I know and am trying to change.

In that same vein,  I picked up In Defense of Food, and it's little sister, Food Rules.  I recommend Food Rules to everyone.  It is a very dumbed-down, easy to get a grip on, fast read (and only 5 bucks!) that gives you a set of, well, rules but really more like snippets of common sense wisdom.  The science behind the rules are found In Defense of Food. The best part is the 7 word food eating guide Pollan has come up with:

Eat Food. Not too much.  Mostly Plants.

Brilliant, and elegant.  And words I am already trying to live by.  His simple way of describing what is FOOD as opposed to "foodlike substitutes" is so basic, and yet I think we westerners are just blind to it.  Mostly plants is easy.  My big problem is still "Not too much".  I love to be full to bursting - which is why I have chosen to give up bread for the most part so I can eat more salad and feel fuller. 

Baby steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment