Thursday, May 18, 2017

232.3

The day I tried to live

I'm having a fairly hard time this morning dealing with the news of  the death of Chris Cornell.   I've been off and crying since 4:30am when I saw the news on my twitter feed. Also having a hard time articulating all the reasons this is so rough. The Seattle grunge scene is what I was all about back in the latter part of High School, around 1990-1992. I had the best friends and the best times figuring out who I was back then and the music I listened to and the concerts I saw were a huge part of my identity. Another piece of that died last night. 1991 was an amazing year for music: Pearl Jam's Ten in August, Nirvana's Nevermind in September, and Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger in October. Can you imagine? It was glorious. I even almost moved to Seattle instead of San Francisco because of the music I loved and the movie Singles which I was obsessed with (it was about the Seattle music scene and Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder both had small parts in it). Badmotorfinger remains one of my favorite albums of all time. In fact, I got a new car 3 weeks ago and that was the first album I blasted to test out the new speakers. I saw Soundgarden several times in concert; Pearl Jam opened for them at one of them LOL. Chris Cornell's voice was just as polished and perfect live as it was on studio albums. He was really blessed with talent. I also think he was one of the most aesthetically beautiful men I have ever seen and he was aging marvelously. Everything about him was up my alley (I wish -HAH).

It makes the milestone of being back at a 100 lb loss this morning seem so insignificant.

Say hello to heaven, Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment