Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Big Reveal: Here's How It Went...

Not as expected! I guess talking about your weight, even when it is very positive is a touchy subject and people don't want to say anything right away.  My husband predicted this. I was completely surprised.  So, in the order that I saw people, here are the reactions.

Sister in Law : Didn't say a word at first.  I got a hug and a kiss and a "so nice to see you".

Brother: was surfing and we met them at the beach.  I had to kind of crawl down a small rocky embankment so that was his first sighting of me.  When I got closer, his jaw - quite literally -  dropped.  This was the reaction I expected out of everybody.  He said something along the lines of, "oh my God.  You are such an inspiration!  How did you do this you look so wonderful!"   I got many hugs and he kept pushing me out and giving me the once over saying "I cant believe it!.. can you believe this?"  That's when I finally got the reaction out of the sister-in-law.  She started fawning over me too.  Total ego booster!

Step-Dad: never said anything.  We don't hang out or talk too much though, so this really isn't surprising.

Mom: Didn't say anything at first.  I have her very well trained not to mention anything about appearance to me.  She is excruciatingly nit-picky.  In the past, no matter how good I may have looked, she'd comment on the zit on my chin, or that my shoes didn't quite match my bag.  And this is especially true about my life-long weight issue.   But 5 minutes later she pulled me aside and said,  "I know you don't want to hear it, but you look AMAZING".  And then came things along the lines of "I'm so proud of you for taking care of yourself!" All weekend long she was looking at me up and down.  It was such a great and nice feeling.

Dad: I didn't see him until the wedding.  He was amazed.  And then I got grilled on how I did it ALL NIGHT LONG and he told me he was going to start what I was doing just as soon as he was done with his Master Cleanse (which I think is a completely terrible, horrible thing to do to your body).  When I got home he had sent an email, part of which read, " You where the big surprise, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You go girl! I should do so well." I sent him a reply with info on a couple books and how he can figure out his daily caloric needs.

Uncle: This was the most heart warming response.  When I first saw him, he didn't say anything.  This was the father of the groom,  and he was quite busy being a social butterfly so I didn't see him again for a couple hours, at which point he pulled me aside.  He actually apologized for not saying something sooner because he was "overwhelmed by what he saw".  He asked me how I did it and I started explaining and he stopped me and said "You know what.  It doesn't matter.  You look healthy, and happy.  If you never lose another pound, or you lose 40 more, it doesn't matter.  You are amazing".  And he actually started tearing up.  He also commented that my husband was looking healthier since he was too thin before.  Ha!

Overall: when people asked me how I did it, I was so SO happy to be able to say very truthfully "I learned how to eat right".  For most people, this was enough, although they were all surprised that I wasn't following any diet in particular.  I was also surprised by how many people started offering me their weight loss advice / methods.  Uh hello - I've lost 101 pounds, pretty sure I know how to do it right.  Such a strange reactions to have.

In the end, I have been motivated to keep going.  I still have 80 pounds to go and have no intention of stopping now.  I have had my ego stroked, and my heart filled with joy seeing the people I love being proud of me and happier that I will be around longer.  I was definitely headed to an early death, and I think I am beyond that point now.

In the bad news section: no pictures!  I was hoping my mom still had pictures from November at my highest weight but she couldn't find them.  And there were only the professional photographers taking pictures of the event itself, so no after pictures either (although, I am going to ask for one picture that was all of teh cousins and our families; I want to have it framed).  Can you believe it?  I think I am going to have husband take some current pics (maybe even get dressed back up in the cute dress - which I ended up wearing as a skirt by the way - long story) just so I can have something to put up in the progress tab.

This has gotten way too long so I suppose I'll get a move on.  One last thing: I didn't calorie count all weekend.  But I weighed myself yesterday morning to see how I did.  I'm down another 3 pounds for a total of 104.4 loss.  YEEHAW

No comments:

Post a Comment