Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year and a New Me

The last year has gone by in a flash.  I look back and part of me thinks, "geez, that was so easy, why didn't you do it sooner?" and of course the answer is, "I wasn't ready yet."

On the other hand, if you would have told me last New Years Day, as I was shoveling gingerbread cookies (I ate an entire tin of 100 cookies between December 23 and Jan 2) in my mouth that I would be 137 pounds lighter in just a year, I would have laughed and said you were crazy!  I would definitely not have believed that such a huge weight loss could be done without surgery, without a specific diet, and without lots of exercise, and by me, Mrs. I See-It-So-I-Must-Eat-It. 

The weird part is, and I don't really like to tell people this when they ask me about my journey... it has been easy.  The most problem I have has was the week before the holiday break from work when folks brought in home-made baked goods.  I did not allow myself to have any, but, I broke down into tears like a psychopath. I wrote about it on 3fc. 

When I decided to start this journey, I set out to do this 100%. I figured, why go to a partial effort? So, that's the way I have approached every single day.  When I feel temptation, I go through a mental check and balance: If I eat X, then this is the result.  And then I either have the item, or I don't depending on what it is.  I say 'no' to certain things though (sugar, breads that aren't whole grain, rice) and am honest with myself about the consequences of over-eating (if I have 2 tablespoons of cashew butter now, I cannot have popcorn later). It has worked for me.


I think my real challenge with this weight loss process is about to start and I am nervous about the coming year.  I am not going to be having the automatic encouragement of seeing weight melting off with almost zero effort (other than not eating like I have 2 butt-holes, as my dear friend Chris once put it hehehe).  There are new changes I need to make, and it is a challenge that I have not really had to face. As anyone who has kept up on this blog knows, exercise is my downfall.

If I want to make it to 140 by this time next year, I am really going to have to start motivating myself to figure out an exercise I like doing or else I am just going to have a super hard time.  I try to do my walking EVERY day, but I am finding myself with excuses more often than not.  I have my wiiFit that I have used all of twice since getting it at the beginning of February. I also know that I should really be doing some strength training for toning, just to start getting some shape happening here because so far, I am pretty lumpy under all of this fat. The most developed part of my musculature are my huge solid calves what with having to carry around a third of a TON all of my adult life (geez that sounds terrible, but it's the ugly truth).

I don't really like the idea of New years Resolutions, but I certainly have a few goals I would like to meet in 2011:
1) get down to "normal" weight for my height, 140 pounds (lose 54.8 pounds)
2) get an exercise routine down
  2a) do couch to 5k/ start running
  2b) get some strength training in / join gym?
3) make a friend that I know IRL and not just online/ maybe an exercise partner? (any of you readers in the Bay Area?  LOL)

So Happy New Year to a New Me! Hopefully next year I will be able to greet myself in exactly the same way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment