Monday, February 25, 2008

Roasted Veggies (50-150 kc)

One of the quickest, simplest, and to my mind, elegant treatments of beautiful veg is a simple roasting.

2-4 c. chopped vegetables
2 cloves garlic, chopped or sliced
S& P
1/2 lemon
1-2 tsp oil (olive or coconut)

I start with 1-2 (more is fine!) vegetables that I have on-hand.  Clean and chop as needed for a uniform size to allow for even cooking.  Toss with 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic, salt, a dash of pepper, and the juice of half a lemon.  I am super careful with added fats, but a teaspoon of olive oil, or even better, coconut oil, works great. Place in a roasting pan, or casserole dish, and bake in the oven for 30 or so minutes at 375, or until the veg starts to brown. I sometime add a tablespoon of vegetable broth, cover, and microwave 3-4 minutes if I am getting too brown and the vegetables aren't done enough

Here are some combos I have tried recently:

Brussels sprouts and olive oil
Brussels sprouts, celery root, and coconut oil <-- to DIE for & 88 kcal per 1.5c. serving
red onion, sweet potato, parsnips
acorn squash, parsnip, and turnip
eggplant, tomato, zucchini
... can't wait for the summer veggie FEST

No comments:

Post a Comment