Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spinach Tortillas

I can't believe I made my own tortillas, but I did it!  This is another great recipe from VeggieWiz, and I changed very little; I also tweaked the directions slightly to reflect my personal experience with the dish.  

Spinach Tortillas
1/2 cup corn flour (found in health food store, NOT corn meal)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 cup spinach, boiled and drained, reserve the liquids

Puree the boiled spinach in a blender; you will need about 3/4 cups puree.
 
Mix the corn flour, wheat flour, salt and baking soda together. Knead into a dough by slowly adding the spinach puree. Add the reserved liquids if needed. The dough should be soft but not sticky. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes. 

Divide the dough into 6 balls and pat each ball into a thin roundish tortilla using the corn flour to help with sticking.  Make as thin as you can.

Heat a griddle or skillet over high heat (do not use oil). Gently place a tortilla on the hot pan, and cook for 40-50 seconds on each side; longer if your tortillas are a little thick. You should see little bubbles forming, and it should get lightly toasted.   Eat them fresh; for leftover5s, wrap in aluminum foil and refrigerate,


No comments:

Post a Comment